Bronchiectasis is a rare condition where the airways leading to the lungs become damaged. The result of bronchiectasis is enlargement of the bronchial tubes, loss of elasticity, scarring, and destruction of cilia instrumental in protecting the lungs from dust, bacteria, and excess mucus. With these protective mechanisms disabled, severe chronic infections result. Bronchiectasis leads to serious health conditions, such as respiratory failure and congestive heart failure. Although the medical profession can offer no answers other than prescribing the strongest antibiotics available, there are natural remedies that can play a role in reversing this condition.
Bronchiectasis usually starts with a serious infection or respiratory condition that damages the airways. The onset is not sudden and may take years to make itself known. A person who suffers from repeated lung infections is a prime candidate for bronchiectasis, as each infection plays a role in damaging the airways. It can, however, be caused by an underlying medical condition, such as cystic fibrosis in children.
Mucus plays an important role in helping to remove bacteria, dust, and other small particles from the lungs. When these body’s defenses are injured, it is impossible for the mucus to clear, making a perfect environment for the accumulation of these foreign objects, a perfect breeding ground for infection.
A common and very serious infection due to bronchiectasis is pseudomonas. This type of bacteria thrives in a moist environment and can be life threatening. It is a resilient bacteria and is innately resistant to many antibiotics. Infection by this type of organism can severely compromise one’s health. This infection invariably leads to pneumonia and may lead to other life threatening conditions, such as meningitis, endocarditis, peritonitis, ecthyma gangrenosum (EG), bacteremia, and severe septicemia.
The degenerative process of bronchiectasis is slow and not generally diagnosed until the patient is in distress. Bronchiectasis Symptoms include chronic cough, repeated episodes of pneumonia, chest pain, and coughing up blood. As time goes on, the symptoms slowly worsen, leading to difficulty in breathing and congestive heart failure, sometimes necessitating oxygen.
Although the damage caused by bronchiectasis is said to be irreversible, natural remedies are available that can help to prevent lung infections and reverse its symptoms.
One remedy that can offer relief, eliminate, and prevent infection is colloidal silver. Colloidal silver kills one-celled pathogens, even those becoming resistant to antibiotics. Besides taking it internally, nebulizing with colloidal silver and lobelia will help clear the air passages, eliminating unwanted mucus.
Focus should be placed on using immune-strengthening supplements. Oleander extract is a powerful immune booster. It has immune modulating properties and is used in the Bronchiectasis Natural Treatment such as cancer and diseases originating from immune deficiency.
Additional beneficial supplements include:
- Vitamin C strengthens immunity and controls mucus levels.
- Calcium phosphate strengthens bronchial tissue.
- Vitamin A helps to prevent infection, due to its participation in protein synthesis and cell differentiation, thus maintaining the health of the epithelial tissues in the bronchial tubes.
- Calcium fluoride helps restore elastic tissue in the bronchial tubes.
- Herbs that support the lungs, strengthen the immune system and repair tissue include Hoelen, Dong Quai, Ophiopogon, Scute, Platycodon, Citrus, Morus Root, Fritillary, Chinese Asparagus Root, Almonds, Gardenia, Schizandra, and Licorice. Some or all of those herbs can be found in combination in popular supplements.
- Herbs that detoxify the liver, such as milk thistle, turmeric, yellow dock, lycopodium, and dandelion are essential.
- Cod liver oil aids calcium absorption, especially during the winter months.
Although bronchiectasis can progress to be a life threatening condition, there are natural remedies that can be instrumental in helping people enjoy a good quality life.